Your Rights as a Taxpayer and the IRS’s obligations to protect them:
- The Right to Be Informed
- The Right to Quality Service
- The Right to Pay No More Than the Correct Amount of Tax
- The Right to Challenge the IRS’s Position and Be Heard
- The Right to Appeal an IRS Decision in an Independent Forum
- The Right to Finality
- The Right to Privacy
- The Right to Confidentiality
- The Right to Retain Representation
- The Right to a Fair and Just Tax System
source: Section 401 “PROTECTING AMERICANS FROM TAX HIKES ACT OF 2015”
However, under current law, IRS employees need to “act in accord with” the Taxpayer Bill of Rights, but it is not clear whether taxpayers may rely on the rights.
I created this blog to help understand certain basic aspects of U.S. tax law. Of course, each situation is unique and nothing that is on this site will ever replace the expert advice of a tax professional.
Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any question